What is chaas?
chas or chaas is a buttermilk drink (indian summer drink ) (Salted Butter Milk ) that is more enjoyed in the summer heat or season in india. it is very popular all over india in different variants of the same recipe. It is enjoyed in punjab as lassi ( sweetened version) , it is also quite popularin india with the sindhis and gujratis and marwadis.
MASALA CHAAS RECIPE
The recipe below is not the recipe as shown in video But simlar to it
The asafetida and ginger in it aid digestion. This recipe makes 4 glasses.
- 4 glasses of slightly sour buttermilk (subsitute buttermilk with 2 glasses yoghurt and 2 glasses chilled water)
- 1 tbsp vegetable/sunflower/canola oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 10-15 curry leaves
- 2" piece of ginger grated fine
- 1/2 tsp asafetida
- 2 green chillies chopped fine
- Salt to taste
- A handful of finely chopped corainder leaves
- Put the buttermilk/yoghurt, ginger, green chillies, 5 curry leaves chopped finely, coriander and salt to taste into a food processor and blend well.
- In a small pan heat the oil. When it is hot add the mustard seeds.
- They will splutter. When this happens add the remaining curry leaves and asafetida. Remove from the fire in another 30 seconds.
- Add this to the buttermilk mixture and mix well.
- Serve in glasses.
SWEET BUTTERMILK Summer recipe - LASSI