Spicy Pumpkin soupAlthough there are not many Indian spicy pumpkin soups around I have managed to make a nice spicy pumpkin soup from recipes told to me adding a little flavour of my own
Ingredients (serves 6)
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 2 medium brown onions, diced
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1kg peeled, deseeded, butternut pumpkin, cut into 2.5cm pieces
- 1L (4 cups) vegetable stock
- 125mls (1/2 cup) thin cream (optional)
- Salt & ground black pepper, to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a large wide-based saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions and cook for 4 minutes or until softened.
- Increase heat to medium-high, add the cumin, coriander and cinnamon and cook for 1 minute or until aromatic. Add the pumpkin pieces and stir to coat well in the spice mixture.
- Add the stock and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes or until the pumpkin is soft.
- Use a potato masher to mash together the pumpkin and stock until the soup is almost smooth. Stir the cream through the soup (if using) and season with salt and pepper. Serve with warm damper (see related recipe).
I checked out this Pumpkin soup Book that also comes with a CD set which made some delicious and easy recipes, which was a bargain at $9.99 USD.
Preparation Time20 minutes
PUMPKIN SOUP RECIPE VIDEO
Pumpkin Soup - More amazing videos are a click away
2 ND RECIPETime: 15-30 mins
ROASTED PUMPKIN SOUPIngredients:
600 g - yellow pumpkin 100 g - onion 150 g - carrot 75 g - celery 75 g - leeks 50 ml - fresh cream salt and pepper to taste 1 - parsley sprig
- Peel and cut the pumpkin into chunks add some herbs and seasoning roast in an oven till golden brown.
- Saute the onion, celery, leeks and carrot add the roasted pumpkin add some vegetable stock, cook till the flavors mix
- Make smooth puree and strain it.
- Add fresh cream salt and pepper.
- Serve hot garnished with fresh cream and parsley sprig