The curry gets its color from the red chillies used to cook the dish it. If you want the nice looking delicious hot color but not all the heat of the chillis, the trick is to use only half the amount of red chillies and substitute the other half with Kashmiri Chillies which impart a red color but are NOT very hot in flavor.
Ingredients for Rajathani Chilli Red Meat curry:
- 500 gms lamb cut into small diced cubes with (or without bones)
- 7-8 whole dry red chillies and 4 Kashmiri chillis ( Kashmiri chillis are not very hot)
- 2 tbsps coriander seeds
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp garlic paste
- 1 cup Plain Natural yogurt
- 4 tbsps vegetable or canola cooking oil
- 4 medium sized onions sliced very thin
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp garam masala powder
- 3-4 tbsps finely chopped green coriander
Preparation of the Red meat curry:
- Soak the red chillies/ Kashmiri chillies and coriander seeds in a bowl of water. After 10 minutes drain them and put into the food processor adding the turmeric powder and garlic paste. Add a little water to get the mixture to reach a smooth paste.
- Mix this paste with the yogurt and then add the meat to it to keep aside to marinate for 1 hour.
- Heat the cooking oil in a deep pan on medium heat. Add the onions and fry till golden brown. Stir often to prevent burning. Remove the onions from the oil with a slotted spoon and put on paper towels to soak up excess oil. Keep a little aside to garnish the dish and put the rest into the blender or food processor. Grind to a smooth paste.
- Heat the oil that was left over from frying the onions, again. Add this onion paste to it and fry for 1-2 minutes.
- Now add the marinated meat and its marinade. Fry till the oil begins to separate from the masala( gravy).
- Stir often and sprinkle a little water whenever the masala ( gravy) begins to stick to the pan or burn. Season with salt to taste.
- When the meat is cooked and tender, remove the pan from the heat and sprinkle the garam masala over it. Cover immediately and keep aside for 2-3 minutes.
- Open the cover and garnish with previously fried onions and chopped fresh coriander leaves.
Related rajathani recipes
Also check out our Listing of -----------> top Indian chefs